What is raw and why should I feed my dog this way?

What is raw and why should I feed my dog this way?

All the doggy diet data out there can be a lot to digest. So, we’re here to explain why Little Hunter believes “Raw is the Law” when it comes to feeding your pups.

What is raw?

It’s simple. Raw dog food is a limited ingredient diet consisting of uncooked, whole foods made from whole-prey animal (meat, organs and bones), fruits and vegetables.

Why raw?

While humans need to cook most of their food for safety and the breaking down of enzymes, our furry friends are not built the same way. Dogs don’t require their food to be cooked, and may actually be harmed by it.

The physical & chemical act of cooking food (from “gentle cooking” or “air-drying” to “baked” to highly cooked (aka “extruded”) kibble) alters & destroys some of the beneficial enzymes, vitamins and minerals they need. It also changes the molecular structure of the food, which can lead to upset stomachs and diarrhea in our more sensitive friends.

Not to mention—most pups just prefer the taste of raw over cooked food.

Why not kibble?

Kibble is far removed from what dogs and their ancestors evolved eating. It’s cooked and generally made from low quality, combined animal proteins, fillers and mixed with tons of additives & preservatives. 

Fillers like wheat, peas, legumes mean empty calories and less nutrition. Blended proteins (ex. combining chicken, pork and beef in the same recipe), additives & preservatives mean increased allergic reactions. 

Contrary to this, Little Hunter’s limited-ingredient recipes are made from the finest USA sourced, raw ingredients. 90% of our recipes are humanely raised proteins (pasture raised beef, free-range chicken and domestic salmon & whitefish) while the other 10% are raw fruits and vegetables for balanced nutrition.

What’s in it for me and my pup?

The proof is ultimately in the outcomes and there are countless transformation stories to point to.

Pup parents who have switched to raw report immediate improvements in allergies (less itchy, irritated skin), shinier coats to improved digestion, increased energy and stronger immune systems. A raw diet can also help your dog maintain a healthy weight and reduce the risk of certain chronic diseases.

This means a pup with more pep in their step, less scratching and our favorite, less messy clean-ups...You can read more of our real transformation stories here.

To sum it up, dogs are built to (and prefer to) eat raw - a whole animal-based, uncooked diet, rich & balanced with all of the nutrients and enzymes they need, without the allergens and the junk they don’t.

If you’re thinking about making the switch–go for it! You’ll be giving them exactly what they need to thrive as the Little Hunters they are.

Learn more about Freeze Drying process here

See what everyone’s barking about.

My boys are in love!
We love the beef meal & will be trying all of there other meals! We absolutely love this company, happy dogs & happy parents! It’s always good to know what’s going into your pups are also good for them! ❤️❤
One of the best decisions we've made for our dog
Since we switched Chief to a fully raw diet 6 months ago we’ve seen amazing changes in him! He’s less bloated and is very lean now!( more defined muscles ) His teeth are way more clean on raw. He doesn’t suffer from itchy skin anymore, his coat is naturally shiny now!
My pet hates EVERYTHING! Little Hunter was a hit though. I couldn't believe how she enjoyed the beef, fruits and vegetables recipe.